Public Transportation Safety
Using public transportation is a convenient and cost-effective way to travel. However, it’s important to prioritise safety while utilising buses, taxis, or trains. By following certain guidelines, you can ensure a secure and pleasant journey. In this section, we will cover bus safety tips, taxi safety tips, and train safety tips.
Bus Safety Tips
- Arrive early and be prepared: Plan your journey in advance and arrive at the bus stop early to avoid rushing. Have your fare or ticket ready to minimise delays.
- Stand in a safe location: While waiting for the bus, stand in a designated waiting area or on the sidewalk, away from the edge of the road. Be cautious of traffic and give priority to pedestrians.
- Use handrails while boarding and exiting: When getting on or off the bus, use handrails for stability. Be mindful of the gap between the bus and the curb to prevent slips or falls.
- Secure personal belongings: Keep your personal belongings secure while on the bus. Hold bags or purses close to your body and ensure valuable items are not easily accessible to potential thieves.
Taxi Safety Tips
- Choose reputable taxis: Opt for licensed and well-known taxi companies or use trusted ride-hailing services. Avoid accepting rides from unmarked or unauthorised vehicles.
- Verify driver identification: Before entering the taxi, verify the driver’s identification, such as their photo and name. Compare it with the information provided by the taxi company or ride-hailing service.
- Share trip details: Inform a friend or family member about your taxi ride, including the driver’s name, vehicle details, and your estimated time of arrival. Use GPS tracking apps if available.
- Sit in the back: When riding in a taxi, choose the back seat. This provides you with more personal space and allows you to exit the vehicle from either side, enhancing your safety.
- Remember you are responsible for your own personal safety, be wise in your decisions .
Train Safety Tips
- Be aware of surroundings: Stay vigilant while waiting on train platforms or in train stations. Avoid distractions and be mindful of your surroundings, especially in crowded areas.
- Mind the gap: Pay attention to the gap between the train and the platform when boarding or exiting. Take care while stepping across the gap to prevent trips or falls.
- Hold on to handrails: Once inside the train, hold on to handrails or grab handles for stability, particularly during periods of acceleration, deceleration, or when the train is in motion.
- Follow safety instructions: Observe and follow any safety instructions or announcements provided by train personnel. These may include information about emergency exits, procedures, or potential hazards.
Prioritising safety while using public transportation is crucial for a smooth and secure journey.